Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

FFXIV

Go down 
+2
Thriparip
Feylorn
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Feylorn
Admin
Admin
Feylorn

FFXIV - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: FFXIV   FFXIV - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

****IMPORTANT****
Please discount the following review posts as FFXIV has changed almost completly since I wrote these, and now with the old servers shut down and everyone waiting for version 2.0 to come out the info here is not really relevent any more. I will however leave the posts available to read for anyone who may be interested to see how it all used to be.
***END OF EDIT***

Well I've now been playing FFXIV for a little over 2 months and as the game has just had it's first major update I thought I'd post here with a sort of review for those who might be interested.

First though I'll just say that if any of you want to get in touch with me outside of XI, then please PM me on this forum as I still check here regularly.
Oh and yes, I am still playing XI, just with my free time at a premium right now I don't get as much time to dedicate to it as I'd like.

For any of you coming over to XIV I'm on the Melmond server under the character name Feylorn Sylph. My old friend Baileywith is there too as the character Ravenwolf Bailey, so look either of us up to join our linkshell. You can add people to friends list on XIV even if they are not logged in, so it's easy to find them.

*IMPORTANT* For the purposes of the following reveiw, this is of the game as it stands 'after' the update of Nov 26 2010. This update got rid of a whole lot of lag that some people were suffering, re-jigged the UI, added more inventory space, better inventory/gear management etc.
Now personally I didn't have many things before the patch that I had problems with. I got hardly any lag, but I'm playing on a really good PC. Saying that tho I can see the improvements they made, the whole game feels smoother and more polished, things just work better now.

Right, on to the review.
Firstly I'll repeat what I have said elsewhere on this forum, and to some of you in XI: XIV is a whole new game, do not expect it to be XI with better graphics.
While there are similarities, the races are pretty much the same with different names, and some of the mobs are the same, the game play is totally different.
Combat has no auto attack function, if you the player don't give commands, then your character will just stand there getting hit. However, when you do issue those commands, combat is fast and often brutal as you can throw out strings of abilities and WS way faster than in XI.
One of the biggest changes for people coming from XI is that XIV has no subjob system.
Instead of a subjob you get to use almost all abilities earned for one job, on any of your other jobs.
Basically this works sort of like BLU spells in XI. Each job gets a certain ammount of skill slots depending on the job level, and each job ability has a set point cost. Apart from certain job specific abilities, most job abilities can freely be used on other jobs as long as you have slots to put them in your setup, and as long as that other job is high enough level for the ability.
An easy example is the setup I have. I mainly play Lancer for my combat job and currently have it at rank 18. I also have the Pugelist and Conjurer jobs levelled both to rank 10. Now this means that in my lancer setup, I can also use the Second Wind ability of Pugelist, and the Shock Spikes and Stoneskin from Conjurer. Essentially 'every' job you have levelled acts as a subjob, it's just a matter of mixing and matching abilities to find good combos. Essentially you get to design your own job around how you like to play the game.

Last edited by Feylorn on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Haru
Even match
Even match

FFXIV - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FFXIV   FFXIV - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 4:05 am

NVM the post before the edit, i'm staying in Ragnarok Smile
Back to top Go down
Jevil
Decent challenge
Decent challenge
Jevil

FFXIV - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FFXIV   FFXIV - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 am

o.o..! not checked the forums in quite some time but I was talking about 11 recently and got super nostalgic and of course the good old DS :3 made me curious what chaps and chapettes are in 14 arr, and what servers =o if anyone checks this a wee update would be nice =o I main on Phoenix atm but if a lot of us are on another server I might be very easily swayed to join lol ;DD /poke o//o /tarutaru raise
Back to top Go down
Feylorn
Admin
Admin
Feylorn

FFXIV - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FFXIV   FFXIV - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Hey Jevil, sorry this reply took a while. I've recently got back into XIV. Dhomag (Thrip) and Mikain (Haru) are still around, we are all 3 on the Ragnarok server. I don't currently know of any of the other old crew who play though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FFXIV - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FFXIV   FFXIV - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FFXIV
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General-
Jump to: